Jump to content
Leaving the Register

Information on leaving the Register if you request to be removed, what to do if your registration lapses and guidance for students who wish to withdraw from their social work degree course.

Request for removal

A registered person can ask to be removed from the Register at any time.

If you don’t intend to practise in Wales, you should ask to be removed from the Register.

To request removal log in to your SCWonline account and click ‘My Registration or Renewal’ and click ‘remove’.

If you intend to practise in another part of the UK, you will need to register with the relevant council.

Lapsing registration

You must complete your application at least 21 days before your renewal date. If your renewal hasn't been completed 21 days before your renewal date we’ll send you (and your last known employer) a 'notice of intention to remove' reminder.

We can’t guarantee to process renewal applications in less than 21 days. Unless you have renewed, your registration will lapse one day after your renewal date.

Lapsing means a person’s name will be removed from the Register. They can’t legally practise in Wales as they’re no longer registered.

If your registration has lapsed and you need to return to the Register you’ll need to:

Removal by agreement

For information on removal by agreement see How we deal with concerns.

Students who withdraw from their course

If you’re registered with us as a student, your university will tell us if you withdraw from a course. We will then start the process to remove your name from the Register. We’ll notify you when this is complete.

Contact us

If you have a question or if you can't find what you are looking for get in touch with us.

First published: 24 October 2019
Last updated: 14 October 2022
Download this page as a PDF (27.9 KB)
This file might not be fully accessible